The selection process in the Civil Service is based upon a set of guiding principles:
- Staffing decisions are to be made based on the merit principle e.g., qualifications, relative ability, knowledge and skills.
- Objectivity, fairness, and consistency guide all selection activities.
- Confidentiality must be maintained by staff involved in the staffing process.
- Staffing is a collaborative effort between hiring managers and the PEI Public Service Commission(PSC). The PSC provides various resources and expertise to assist hiring managers in selecting the right candidates for the right roles.
- The PSC and hiring managers work together to ensure that staffing process is completed in an efficient and timely manner.
- The staffing process remains consistent with applicable policies, collective agreements and legislation.